SSE joins Corporate Forum on Sustainable Finance
SSE has become a founding member of a forum which aims to develop sustainable finance as a critical tool to help fight climate change.
The Corporate Forum on Sustainable Finance brings together 17 European companies including Orsted, EDF, Iberdrola, Tideway and Engie, among others, who are all in a position to use green bonds and loans, credit facilities as well as other sustainable financing tools to develop low carbon infrastructure.
Representing over two-thirds of green and sustainable bond volumes issued by European corporations, the Forum regards sustainable finance instruments as efficient market-based tools that allocate the economic resources where they are most needed, particularly to low-carbon and sustainable investments, which are central to the members’ corporate strategies.
One year after the Paris Green Bond Pledge, published to mark 2017 Climate Finance Day, the businesses are pooling their weight to:
- More-deeply integrate the notion of sustainability in the financial strategies of their respective companies;
- Work with investors to spur the development of a more sustainable economy through innovative financing instruments;
- Increase corporate presence in international and national forums shaping the development of sustainable finance markets;
- Actively participate in the processes setting the future standards and regulatory frameworks for sustainable finance instruments;
- Leverage mutual expertise and promote best practices on impact reporting;
- Discuss with rating agencies about more-deeply integrating SRI criteria in the assessment of companies’ long term financial sustainability.
Sustainable finance is becoming an increasingly prominent issue with investors taking a keen interest and willing to allocate capital on sustainable initiatives.
SSE is a leading energy provider in a low carbon world with one of the largest complements of renewable energy assets in the UK and has been at the forefront of sustainable finance in the UK. The forum brings together “green issuers” committed to upholding and developing sustainable finance as a force for good to combat climate change and foster a more sustainable and responsible society. As such, the Forum is an opportunity to put business at the forefront of the low carbon and sustainability transition.
The full list of companies involved is: EDF, EDP, ENEL, ENGIE, Ferrovie Dello Stato, Iberdrola, Icade, Naturgy, Orsted, RATP, SNCF Réseau, Société du Grand Paris, SSE, Tennet, Terna, Tideway, Vasakronan.