Brims tidal

  • Category: Renewables
  • Energy type: Marine
  • Project type: Project

SSE Renewables and OpenHydro Group Ltd have been awarded exclusive rights to develop a 200MW tidal site in the Pentland Firth. The Brim Tidal Array site is located to the south of Hoy in Orkney and within The Crown Estates Pentland Firth and Orkney Waters Strategic Area. The site will prove a major first step in delivering large scale todal power to the UK national grid.

More information

Project information

A joint venture partnership between SSE Renewables and OpenHydro Site Development Ltd was awarded and Agreement for Lease (AfL) which provides exclusive rights to carry out site investigation for a 200MW tidal site in the Pentland Firth.

In 2013 a revision was made to the boundary of the AfL area, whereby 80% of the original AfL area was shifted to the west, with the remaining 20% overlapping with the original site. As a result of this boundary change, and in order to ensure a name relevant to the project location, the site name has been revised from Cantick Head Tidal Development to Brims Tidal Array, with the joint venture partnership now called Brims Tidal Array Limited (BTAL).

The Brims Tidal Array site is located to the south of Hoy in Orkney and within the Crown Estate’s Pentland Firth and Orkney Waters Strategic Area. The site will prove a major first step in delivering large scale tidal power to the UK national grid and has a potential maximum capacity of 200MW.
A Scoping Report has now been issued to all stakeholders and interested parties. The Scoping Report provides details of the project and identifies the topics that are proposed to be covered within the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) and can be downloaded from the link below.

Two public exhibitions will be held locally during the Orkney Science Festival 2013. More information about these can be found from the link below.

The Scoping Report provides details of the project and identifies the topics that are proposed to be covered within the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) and can be downloaded from the link below.

Brims exhibition board

Brims Tidal Array comment form

Scoping report

Map

Public exhibition advert

Project briefing document

Open Hydro's website