SSE owns and operates a diverse range of energy businesses. As a result, we don't operate in a single market, but are a major participant in a number of energy markets in the UK and Ireland, including:
- electricity generation and electricity and gas supply in Great Britain;
- electricity generation and supply in the Single Electricity Market for the island of Ireland;
- gas supply in Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland;
- gas storage in Great Britain; and
- mechanical, electrical and utility contracting in the UK and Ireland.
In addition, we own and operate regional energy networks in Great Britain. In this sector, Ofgem aims to protect customers’ interests by economic regulation of network companies through a ‘price control’.
While these businesses are diverse, they are geographically focused on the UK and Ireland and they all have a part to play in the achievement of our core purpose: to provide the energy people need in a reliable and sustainable way.
Click on the the diagram below to see how SSE's three energy businesses work to deliver secure energy to customers and support annual growth.